Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Have A Good Day

We say the words so often, they have become almost a cliche. But do we ever think about what the words mean when we say them to someone? Are we wishing the person a day free of traffic jams, extra work hours or stock market crashes? Maybe we don't stop to consider what a good day for that person might entail, but each of us has our ideas of how a good day should be. Maybe it's a day when the boss moves to Iceland, or we get a promotion, or our hubby buys us that necklace we'd been hinting at.

One morning I ended my prayers with, "Lord, please let this be a good day for me." The minute the words left my mouth, I heard something deep down inside of me say, "How about making it a good day for me?" I froze. I'd never thought of God having a good day or a bad day. After all, He is God. Everyday ought to be good for Him.

I pondered that thought for the rest of the day, and I concluded that we have it in our power to make each day a good day for God. Now, that's presumptious, you say. Not really. The Bible says, "Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created" (Revelation 4:11).

God created us for His pleasure. He delights in us, but when we do those things that are not pleasing to Him, are we giving Him pleasure? Are we giving Him a good day? In the same way we as parents feel hurt and have a bad day when our children disobey us, God, as our Father, also has a bad day when we do wrong. And it's not just our wrongful acts, but not trusting Him also gives Him a bad day.

So now I end my prayers with, "Lord, help me make this a good day for you." And when I pray like that, I end up having a good day. Just think about it, and have a good day.

No comments: