Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Saturday, October 02, 2010

A Very Depressing Week

This has been a sad week for me. First, on Monday a co-worker mentioned the Eddie Long scandal and showed me pictures on the internet that he allegedly sent to the young men he is said to have had relations with. As the week progressed, more allegations and even lawsuits surfaced, making it seem that the rumors may be true. And the more I heard, the sadder I became.

If the rumors are true, this will not be the first time the church has been buffeted like this, and I daresay, it will not be the last. So I tried to take it all in stride, until my friend, a Christian,  came to work looking very depressed and expressing feelings of helplessness and hopelessness. Maybe I was tired, or maybe hearing my friend, who is always so upbeat, voice feelings of depression scared me and I found myself becoming tearful. But through my tears, I prayed for her and she later said she felt better.

So I tried to forget about Eddie Long and all the depressing thoughts. Then wham! On Friday, a Brinks driver was gunned down in front of the bank close to where my daughter works.

My blood ran cold.

A poor man going about his business suddenly had his life snuffed out.  His family ... how did they feel? Did he have young children? How would they go on without him? What if my daughter had been hurt? What if other people had been hurt? Would they find the criminals? The thoughts tumbled around in my mind like clothes in a clothes dryer. But eventually, I thought of what Jesus said, "These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world" (John 16: 33).

"While we look not at the things which are seen , but at the things which are not seen : for the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not seen are eternal" (2 Corinthians 4: 18).  We can take comfort in knowing that all these things that are happening around us - church scanals, depression, crime - will one day be no more. Therefore, we are to set our sights on "things above;  not on things on the earth" (Colossians 3:2). It may not always be easy, especially if your loved ones are involved, but by focusing on God, we can spare ourselves a lot of sadness and a lot of depression.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: