Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Sunday, May 06, 2012

What Do You Want From God?

If God were to ask you that question, how would you reply? Would you say, Lord, I want you to bless me indeed. Or would you ask for perfect health, a perfect mate, a better job, a bigger house? God asked King Solomon that question and Solomon replied, "...give your servant a discerning heart to govern your people and to distinguish between right and wrong. For who is able to govern this great people of yours?” (1 Kings 3 : 9).

And what was God's response?  "I will do what you have asked. I will give you a wise and discerning heart, so that there will never have been anyone like you, nor will there ever be.  Moreover, I will give you what you have not asked for—both wealth and honor —so that in your lifetime you will have no equal among kings.  And if you walk in obedience to me and keep my decrees and commands as David your father did, I will give you a long life” ( v 12 - 14).

Don't you just love it when God gives you more than you ask for? But you must ask with the right motive. James says that we lust after things and expect God to bless us with these things.  He says, "When you ask, you do not receive, because you ask with wrong motives, that you may spend what you get on your pleasures" (James 4 : 3).

So what should we ask for and how should we ask? There's nothing wrong with asking God for health, a mate (there's no perfect mate), a better job or a bigger house, but when those things are asked for out of covetousness and discontent, then we have a problem. James says, " Come near to God and he will come near to you. Wash your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded.   Grieve, mourn and wail. Change your laughter to mourning and your joy to gloom. Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will lift you up" (v 8 - 10) . 1 Timothy 6 : 6 says, "Godliness with contentment is great gain."

So when we come to God, our motives must be pure and we must be content, whether God answers our prayers the way we want Him to or not. That may be difficult, but God requires humility and contentment.

1 comment:

Cynthia said...

I think I would ask Him to cleanse my heart with His love...that His love guide every thought and utterance...that the love He gives me, be multipled beyond my understanding...Yes, I would ask for less of being involved and concerned about myself.