Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Tuesday, October 09, 2012

Separation Anxiety

My almost-four-year-old granddaughter has what I call separation anxiety. Jen does not like being separated from her mother for any length of time. She had a very difficult time adjusting to starting school and has only recently grown accustomed to her new routine. She no longer cries when my daughter drops her off. Still, at home Jen seldom stays far from her mother. Yesterday, we attended a wedding, and while the adults enjoyed the cool atmosphere on the front lawn, Jen ran around the lawn, swinging on a post here, stopping to admire something there. But ever so often, she would return to her mother before running off again.

As I watched my granddaughter at play, I thought how great it would be if we had the same anxiety about being separated from God. What if we could go about our daily routine but always kept Him in sight?  Psalm 16: 11 says, "Thou wilt shew me the path of life: in thy presence is fulness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore." (KJV) Do we feel joy at being in God's presence?

"Let us come before his presence with thanksgiving, and make a joyful noise unto him with psalms" (Psalm 95 :2).  Jen shouts, "Mama!" when her mother enters the room and her eyes light up with love and joy. Do we react that way when we are in God's house, in His presence?  David said, "Cast me not away from thy presence; and take not thy holy spirit from me" (Psalm 51 : 11). That should be our prayer day and night. Let us show God how much we love Him and never want to be separated from Him.

No comments: