Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Sunday, March 30, 2014

Stand Your Ground - Part III

The last woman I'm writing about who stood her ground is the "importunate widow" spoken of in Luke 18. Here's the parable Jesus told about this woman: "There was in a city a judge, which feared not God, neither regarded man: 3 And there was a widow in that city; and she came unto him, saying , Avenge me of mine adversary. 4 And he would not for a while: but afterward he said within himself, Though I fear not God, nor regard man; 5 Yet because this widow troubleth me, I will avenge her, lest by her continual coming she weary me. 6 And the Lord said , Hear what the unjust judge saith . 7 And shall not God avenge his own elect, which cry day and night unto him, though he bear long with them?"


The NIV translates the word "importunate" as "persistent", a word we are more familiar with. This woman was persistent, even though this judge sounded like he was not an approachable person. He feared neither God nor man, yet this widow persisted in presenting her case before him. In other words, she stood her ground. If she could do that with an unrighteous judge, how much more should we keep on praying to our Righteous Judge?

Are you facing a formidable foe today? Notice this woman did not look for a male relative or friend or attorney to represent her. She went herself. Sometimes when we are faced with a difficult situation we may ask a friend or the pastor or even our church to pray for us. That is good. But we must also go before God ourselves. He wants to hear us. He wants us to show Him that we have the faith to come before Him "day and night" until we get our answer. 1 Peter 5: 7 says, " Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you."

Stand your ground. Cast all your care upon Him today. God bless.




Enhanced by Zemanta

4 comments:

Cynthia said...

Wonderful post, Angela! God wants us to stand before Him...ask Him. He loves us and we must have courage enough to show Him how much we love Him, by standing before Him. He is our God! Much joy!

quietspirit said...

I think of the verse: I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Angela said...

Well said, Cynthia! We must have the courage to stand before God and show Him how much we love Him. I sometimes how hurt God must feel when we don't come to Him with our cares. Thanks for stopping by, Cynthia.

Angela said...

Thank you, quietspirit. That is a verse I say when I find my courage wavering.