Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Sunday, August 31, 2014

Do You Make Mistakes?

The inspiration for this post came from something I heard recently: People who never make mistakes never make anything. I thought it was neat, and adequately sums up the essence of this post. Do you know of someone who is so careful, so afraid of making a mistake he never ventures out? He plays it safe, never takes risks, stays close to home base. Do you think that person is happy?

I read of a man who had acres of land, but did nothing with them. Reason? He was afraid of making a mistake. On June 5, 1944 thousands of American paratroopers jumped into Normandy. Four men refused to jump. Their lives ended that day, according to playwright David Marnet.

The apostle Peter has been called a lot of names - impulsive, foolhardy etc., but no one can say he was afraid to make a mistake. And Jesus, knowing the kind of person Peter was, commanded him to come to Him on the water. I believe the reason Jesus made Peter the founder of His church is that He knew that Peter would not let fear stand in his way. Jesus knew that Peter faced a daunting task, but he would not back down because he knew God was on his side.

Do you make mistakes? Then you are in good company. We all make mistakes. None of us are perfect. Your mistakes are only stepping stones from your success. Trust God. Ask Him to guide you, and He will see you through. Here are some scriptures to help you when you make mistakes.

So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. Isaiah 41: 10.  

Though he fall, he shall not be cast headlong, for the Lord upholds his hand.  Psalm 37: 24

There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. Romans 8:1

Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God so that at the proper time he may exalt you, casting all your anxieties on him, because he cares for you.1 Peter 5: 6-7

2 comments:

quietspirit said...

Angela:
Good thoughts. Sometimes I have someone tell me I am making a mistake. Other times I feel I am doing this. I have some special events in October.I will be working on a manuscript to take to a writing conference so someone can look at it and advise me about my next steps.

Angela said...

Hi Cecelia, it's always a pleasure hearing from you. I think the Holy Spirit sometimes nudges when we make mistakes. We just have to listen for His voice. If you would like me to look at some of your work before the conference I'll be happy to do that. I'm going to the ACFW this month. Please pray that my pitch will be successful.