Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Saturday, April 02, 2016

When God Shows Up


Driving home from work one evening last week during pouring rain, I was tempted to pull aside and sit it out,  but the rain didn't seem to be stopping any time soon so I continued. With the dark, gray clouds and unrelenting rain, visibility was poor, even with my headlights on, and I stuck behind the car in front of me in order to stay on course. The downpour grew heavier until I could barely make out the shape of the car. I said, "I wish he would turn his lights on." Immediately, his lights came on and I was able to see a little better. Some people might say that was a coincidence, but I say it was God showing up just when I needed Him.


Many times in the hustle and bustle of life, we don't recognize the countless little ways in which God helps us. You may be thinking of a friend or family member you haven't heard from in a while, and that person calls. You may be racking your brain for a solution to a problem, and the answer comes in a way you hadn't expected. Somebody gives you something you had been longing for, but didn't think you could afford it. As someone who has experienced a lot of adversity, I know what it's like to have God show up in amazing ways.

Elijah, great man of God, hid in a cave because Jezebel had threatened to kill him after he killed the prophets of Baal. The LORD said, “Go out and stand on the mountain in the presence of the LORD, for the LORD is about to pass by.” Then a great and powerful wind tore the mountains apart and shattered the rocks before the LORD, but the LORD was not in the wind. After the wind there was an earthquake, but the LORD was not in the earthquake. After the earthquake came a fire, but the LORD was not in the fire. And after the fire came a gentle whisper. 1 Kings 19: 11 - 12.

And that was when God gave his instructions to Elijah. God is a great and mighty God, but He doesn't always show up with thunder and lightning. Sometimes it's in the little things we see His face: in a beautiful flower, a baby's smile, a gentle breeze on a hot summer day. 

"Be still and know that I am God ..." (Psalm 46: 10).

 Here is a video to help you do just that.

2 comments:

quietspirit said...

Angela: Thank you for sharing that video. Sometimes we all get caught up in 'things' and we forget that He is God. Blessings to you and yours.

Angela said...

Thank you, Cecelia! God bless.