Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Friday, May 27, 2016

A Life Interrupted

This week I saw an old movie titled Girl Interrupted, starring Angelina Jolie and Whoopi Goldberg. As
the name implies, the movie deals with the life of a young woman mis-diagnosed with Borderline Personality disorder, and as a result, the course of her life was interrupted for a whole year.

In the movie, Susanna was coerced by a doctor and her her parents into allowing herself to be admitted to a mental institution. At first she balked at the idea and was scared of the loonies she was forced to share her life with. But gradually, they became her friends, and when an opportunity came for her to leave the institution, she refused. Later, she ran away, but returned.

This is what is so sad about a life being interrupted. We gradually adjust to our situation, become so comfortable with it that we no longer wish to escape. In my book Coming Out Of Egypt, the main characters, Marva and June, had their lives interrupted by their father's abuse. Marva, the older sister, became resigned to her situation until something happened to jolt her out of it, as it did with Susanna in the movie.

As I reflected on the movie, I wondered how many young people have had their lives interrupted as a result of circumstances beyond their control. If you are in a situation where your life, your dreams, your goals have been interrupted, I encourage you, do not lose heart. The keyword is "interrupted," not "ended." You are still alive, and so is God. He is a God of restoration, and He wants to restore you, if you would let Him.

Jeremiah 15: 19 says,  Therefore this is what the LORD says: “If you repent, I will restore you that you may serve me ..." 

In Joel 2: 25 He promises, "And I will restore to you the years that the locust hath eaten, the cankerworm, and the caterpiller, and the palmerworm, my great army which I sent among you. And I will restore to you the years that the locust hath eaten, the cankerworm, and the caterpiller, and the palmerworm, my great army which I sent among you. "

Don't give up. Cry out to the Lord today, and He will answer you.

 If you haven't yet ordered your copy of Coming Out Of Egypt you can do so by clicking this link: http://amzn.to/1V6us9m


No comments: