Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Saturday, June 18, 2016

The Orlando Massacre

In the wake of this latest national tragedy, I just want to add my thoughts and prayers for the families of the victims in last week's shooting. I also want to say how proud I am to be a Christian. Many times when things like this occur, Christians seem to be MIA or seem to not care. This time, however, I hear expressions of sorrow and horror coming from the Christian community and exhortations to pray for and reach out to the loved ones of those who were murdered. I think we have borne out the true meaning of Christianity as taught by Jesus Christ:
 
If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? And if you greet only your own people, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? ( Matthew 5: 46 - 47)

We are all saddened by the fact that 49 innocent people lost their lives in this senseless act of hate, and I think I speak for every right- thinking person when I say that we will not like to see another repeat of this tragedy. We have had far too many already. And this is why I believe we should have proper gun control. No private citizen should be allowed to purchase assault weapons. I know there are many who, while saying they are sorry about what happened in Orlando, will totally disagree with me. Their reasoning is that criminals will always be able to get their hands on these weapons. True. So let me ask you: do you leave your homes and your cars unlocked and your valuables unprotected because the criminals will always be able to get their hands on them? No. You buy dead bolts, alarms and security systems in order to protect yourselves. We must do the same to protect innocent lives.

No comments: