Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Sunday, April 23, 2017

When You Are Tired

One day my daughter sent her then five-year-old daughter to bring her something, don't recall what it was now, from the bedroom. Jen set off obediently then suddenly stopped and turned around.

"I'm tired," she declared, and came and sat down.

This unexpected response had me and her mother laughing.

We knew Jen wasn't tired. A five-year-old's energy supply doesn't get depleted that quickly despite hours of running, climbing and bouncing about. But adults are different. Even athletes who appear to have superhuman form get tired and must rest. If they don't rest, they risk reducing their performance levels and may even suffer injury.

Adults, athletes, and five-year-olds are all human. We get tired. But how about God? Psalm 121 tells us, "He neither slumbers nor sleeps" (v 4). But Jesus, when He walked this earth, became tired and often called His disciples away from the crowds so they could rest.

Then, because so many people were coming and going that they did not even have a chance to eat, he said to them, “Come with me by yourselves to a quiet place and get some rest”(Mark 6 : 31).

He also taught,  “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls" (Matthew 11: 28 -29).

God knows there are times when we need more than physical rest. We need rest for our mind, our soul and our spirit. When we come to Jesus, He gives us exactly the kind of rest we need. It's restorative, refreshing and redeeming. Do you need rest today? Take some time to talk to Jesus about it. Believe me, He hears. 

I can't think of a better song of restoration than the 23rd Psalm. Here it is being sung by the church choir at Whitney Houston's funeral. Enjoy!





No comments: