Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Sunday, January 06, 2008

Let's do some gardening




There was a time when I used to be an avid gardener. I could hardly wait for spring to begin digging, planting and fertilizing. Now that I live in an area where the seasons are more distinct, I find myself not knowing what to plant and when to plant it. Therefore, whenever I go walking through my neighborhood I look at gardens in the hope of picking up some inspiration. Occasionally I see a garden that leaves me ogling with pleasure. Then I walk another block and I see another garden that makes me shake my head.

Two gardens. Two gardeners.

Which makes me think of Adam in the garden of Eden. God placed Adam, the first man, in the garden of Eden, and gave him charge over it to till and fertilize it and take care of the animals. However, Adam gave in to temptation, and as a result the perfect garden was messed up. Thorns and thistles grew up among the shrubbery, broken branches hung from the trees, dead leaves and stems remained unpruned. Chaos and neglect replaced order and caring.

Then along came Jesus.

God placed Him in a garden as well. The Garden of Gethsemane. Here, in a moment of agony, Jesus shed His blood through His sweat and began the task of restoring the damage that Adam had done. It was in the garden of Gethsemane that Jesus prayed,"O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt" (Matthew 26:39)KJV. Jesus didn't give in to the temptation of the flesh as Adam had done, but instead He gave his flesh willingly to be tortured and crucified.



What are you doing with your garden today? Have you given in to sin and temptation and allowed your garden to become untidy and neglected? Has the job become too overwhelming for you? Have you thrown up your hands in despair, or are you persevering in faith, pulling up those weeds, pruning those dead leaves and tilling the soil? If you are not, then you need to ask Jesus to come into your life. He will restore your garden and equip you with the necessary tools to keep your garden in good order. Why not ask Him today?

No comments: