Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Sunday, February 24, 2008

Like A Little Child Part 2


I feel led by the Holy Spirit to continue this blog about becoming like a little child. Last week I spoke about children being passionate, exuberant and excited. This week I want to touch on two other characteristics that make children perfect candidates for heaven.

I work with children in schools who are developmentally delayed, and there is this one little boy who always slips his hand in mine whenever I go to get him. One day I thought, he trusts me. He really does. Most children, if they have not been abused or mistreated, are trusting. They trust their parents or other adults in their lives to keep their promises.

What about us? Are we trusting of our heavenly Father to keep His promises? I know I have doubted Him a few times. I am still working on being as trusting as a little child. In 2 Samuel 22:3 David says, "The God of my rock: in him will I trust: he is my sheild, and the horn of my salvation, my high tower, and my refuge, my saviour ..."

For many Christians, like myself, trusting God means the difference between walking in victory or walking in defeat. For when we do not trust God, we make decisions that may jeopardize God's plans for our lives. "Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding" (Proverbs 3:5).

Children are sincere. They do not hesitate to show you how they feel about you. If they like you, you will know it, and if they don't like you, well, it can be a painful experience. One of my granddaughters makes me feel guilty at times. Whenever she sees me, she runs to me, hugs me and will not let go. It matters little whether I'm busy or not. Sometimes I push her away with, "Not now, sweetie," or "Granny is busy." And yet the next time she sees me, she repeats the same action. She shows me love whether I'm willing to receive it or not.

Are we sincere in the way we treat others-our family members, friends, co-workers- and God. Do we say we love them, but attach conditions to that love? Do we only love God when things are going our way, but turn our backs on Him when things get rough? Job said, "Though he slay me, yet will I trust in Him" (Job 13:15). Job had every reason to turn his back on God. Even his wife urged him to do just that. But he said unto her, "Thou speakest as one of the foolish women speaketh. What? Shall we receive good at the hand of God, and shall we not receive evil?(Job 2:10).

This childlike faith does not come about by mere wishful thinking, but is developed through a life of prayer, Bible study and fellowship with other believers. That's the only we can grow in faith. Many times I have had to beg God's forgiveness for not trusting Him. I looked on my circumstances instead of looking to Him. But with the help of the Holy Spirit, I am learning to trust in God's promises even when things don't look very promising. And you can, too.

Let us pray: Heavenly Father, we thank you that you loved us while we were yet sinners, and that You continue to love us even when we don't deserve it. Help us by your Holy Spirit to love and trust You with that childlike faith, for we ask it in Jesus' name. Amen.

No comments: