Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Saturday, March 02, 2013

When Fear Strikes


I know I've written on this subject before, but this past week I received some awful news that the son of one of my in-laws was murdered. I barely knew the young man, but fear, anxiety and sadness reared up like a three-head monster. I used to think I was invincible, had all the answers, knew all the scriptures. But last week my armor seemed to have a hole in it somewhere. As a mother, my mind was filled with negative thoughts, I lost sleep and found myself crying at odd moments. Scared, I wondered if I was becoming depressed.

But thank God for His comforting word and for good Christian friends who prayed with me. As I lay in bed unable to fall asleep, I recited scripture after scripture: Psalm 91, Psalm 121, 2 Timothy 1 : 7, 1 John 4 : 18, Philippians 4 : 6 - 8 and many others. My anxiety persisted but eventually loosened its hold. I can think of that incident now without my heart pounding and without crying.

As I look back on that horrible week, I thought of Elijah, mighty prophet of God, who ran for his life when Jezebel threatened to kill him because he had slain the prophets of Baal.

"But he himself went a day's journey into the wilderness, and came and sat down under a juniper tree: and he requested for himself that he might die ; and said , It is enough; now, O LORD, take away my life; for I am not better than my fathers" (1 Kings 19: 4).  

 There were many great prophets in the Bible, but few could be compared to Elijah. His story reminds us how easily we can become discouraged when the enemy attacks us. This mighty man of God was fearful to the point of being suicidal. However, the Bible goes on to say that the Lord sent an angel twice to minister to Elijah. 

"And he arose, and did eat and drink , and went in the strength of that meat forty days and forty nights unto Horeb the mount of God" ( v 8).

I had to have the Holy Spirit minister to me to get me out of my state of anxiety and depression. Without Him I would be lost. Are you suffering from anxiety and/or depression?  These conditions should not be taken lightly. In some cases you may need to be seen by a healthcare professional, but in all cases you need the ministry of the Holy Spirit. Immerse yourself in His word, in His presence, in His healing power and watch that anxiety vanish. 

                      ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are some books that contain prayers that will help you get through those anxious times when the words simply cannot come.

 Finding Peace For Your Heart A Woman's Guide To Emotional Health

The Power of a Praying® Woman Deluxe Edition

Living Beyond Your Feelings: Controlling Emotions So They Don't Control You


 


No comments: