Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Sunday, May 18, 2014

A Funny Thing Happened

A funny thing happened on my way to the parking lot the other day. I heard a thud and
when I looked around, there was this pigeon that had fallen off the roof of the building. For a split second our eyes met, and I was certain I saw a look of embarrassment in his eyes before he got up and flew off. I was glad he didn't seem hurt, but I don't recall ever seeing a bird fall and get up like that. I continued on my way thinking, what resilience, what fearlessness that bird showed.

The Bible and history record many stories of people who fell, got up and continued on their way. King David is one who comes to mind. David was specially chosen by God to be king of Judah after Saul displeased God. David became an exemplary leader until he committed adultery with Bathsheba and had her husband killed. But David rose from his position of disgrace and went on to write Psalm 51. In this Psalm, David admitted his guilt, cried out to God for forgiveness, and God heard him.

 "Against you, you only, have I sinned and done what is evil in your sight, so that you are proved right when you speak and justified when you judge" (v 4).

"Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me.  Do not cast me from your presence or take your Holy Spirit from me.  Restore to me the joy of your salvation and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me" ( v 10 - 12).

This Psalm touches the heart of everyone who reads it because it is a genuine outpouring of David's sorrow for his actions. It's the reason God called David a man after His own heart ( Acts 13 : 22). Contrast this with Saul's reaction when he realized that the Lord's spirit had departed from him. He didn't pour out his heart to God and beg for forgiveness the way David did. Saul consulted with the witch of Endor to bring up the spirit of Samuel the prophet to tell him what to do. The Philistines were gathering forces against Israel, and Saul was very afraid. (1 Samuel 28: 1 - 19).

This is just one of the many accounts in the Bible of how God uses imperfect people to carry out His purpose. David was not perfect, but he knew how to humble himself in order to be restored to God's will. So, what will you do if, or when, you fall from God's favor. Will you turn to your friends or to supernatural means for guidance? Will you stay down, or will you rise up and fly away like the pigeon? We are all prone to sin, but thank God for His grace that is bestowed on us through Jesus Christ. When we fall, we can cry out to Him and He will hear and restore us. Don't be embarrassed. Get up and fly into the arms of your Maker.  He is waiting for you.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: