Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Sunday, May 11, 2014

Memories Of My Mother

It's been over three decades since my mother went to be with the Lord, but I still
remember her, and her passing, as if it was yesterday. Lately, I've found myself thinking more about her. I don't grieve for her anymore though, although I wish she was still here. But I reflect on things she used to do. Like what a great storyteller she was. She would hold me and my cousins - I am an only child - spellbound  while she wove the most titillating tales. Maybe I got my love for creative writing from her. She was also a great cook and wonderful hostess who always made a point to cook a lot of food so that anyone who dropped in - as they did quite often - could partake of her sumptuous meal.

My father passed away quite suddenly when I was just ten years old, and my mother raised me as a single mom, running her little store so she could provide me with a good education. But I believe the biggest influence my mother had on my life was spiritual, although the irony of it is I did not accept Jesus Christ while she was alive. Not that she didn't try.

Shortly after my father died, my mother became a Baptist and began telling me the importance of accepting Jesus Christ and of being baptized, but I turned a deaf ear. I continued attending the Anglican church regularly, but the priest never gave an altar call and the church practiced only infant baptism. At age twelve, I got confirmed and began taking an active part in the church. I thought I was okay.

Was I rebellious? In a way, yes, but I loved my mother, took care of her until she died, and I believe deep down inside I loved the Lord. My mother used to read the Bible to me and when I got old enough, she had me read it and memorize scripture verses. Most of the verses I know today are what I learned as a child. So why did I resist?

Looking back now, I think the main reason was fear. I was afraid of what my friends would say, and afraid of being laughed at. You see, my mother's church was very strict. Women were not allowed to wear makeup or pants, and there were some places you just didn't go - like to the movies or to parties, so I continued in my church where I could live my life the way I wanted to. It wasn't until years after my mother had passed away that I gave my heart to the Lord.

 You may have a child that you have been praying for for a long time, and it seems like your prayers are going unanswered. Don't give up! The Bible says we are to "pray without ceasing"( 1 Thessalonians 5: 17). I know my mother did not give up on me, and neither did God.

So, to mothers on this Mother's Day, be joyful and thank God for His gift of children. Thank Him for His faithfulness to you and ask Him to show you how to continue to be a godly mother to your children. To the children, if your mother is urging you to give your heart to the Lord, don't resist as I did. Don't be afraid of what others may think. Maybe when they see the change in you they too will want to know Christ. Why not accept Him now, and give yourself, and your mother, the best Mother's Day gift ever. God bless you. 


Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: