Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Wednesday, May 06, 2015

Disturbing The Peace

This week I have the unexpected pleasure of visiting with my grandchildren while their father is away. Kevin
Peaceful scene
is a  widower and has been raising his children single-handedly since their mother passed away eight years ago. He told me there is a park not far from the house, so on my first morning, after dropping the kids off to school, I decided to go for a walk.

The area includes a lake surrounded by tall trees and is made accessible in some places by wooden bridges. The air was cool and refreshing and occasionally I stopped to take the pictures you see here. There were lots of people walking, and nearly everyone smiled and said, "Good-morning," something I'm not used to where I live. After completing the two-mile circle, I headed home, feeling wonderfully refreshed and invigoraated. As I neared the paved path that would take me home, I saw three people standing looking at something on the ground.

Bridge over the lake
That's me the day I arrived
Fearing the worst, I whispered, "What is it?" 

One of the young men replied, "It's a little snake."

A little snake? Just where I have to pass? I didn't care how little it was, I wasn't going there. I looked around for another route, but saw none. Slowly, I approached the creature that had disturbed my peace. I watched as he took his time, slithering across the path. When he was almost in the grass, I bolted away. When I told this to a friend she said, "The devil always tries to steal your joy."

I agreed. Stealing our joy is the devil's business, but Jesus delights in giving us peace.

Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid (John 14: 27).

Do not let anything or anyone disturb your peace today. Be blessed.

2 comments:

quietspirit said...

Amen! Hubby is redoing a rock garden in front of our house. I am guilty of disturbing my own peace. I can't help him right now because of leg and knee issues. I needed this scripture. Thank you!

Angela said...

A rock garden sounds lovely, Cecelia! Hope you will be able to get out and enjoy it. Have a blessed Mother's Day!