Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Friday, January 22, 2016

Do You Have A Thorn?


If you are a regular reader of this blog, you would have seen me feature my granddaughter, Jen, in some of my posts. She is only seven, but has a mind of her own, as do most seven-year-olds now, I think. Just recently, Jen had something in her toe. I wouldn't call it a thorn. It must have been something from the Christmas tree that she stepped on, but it was uncomfortable enough to keep her seated, and holding on to her foot for a few minutes. Try as her mother and I did, she would not allow us to touch her foot. Eventually, she took the thing out herself and was soon bouncing around, flipping and doing all the usual Jen things.


The following day, I heard someone preaching about Paul's thorn in the flesh. Just as I didn't know exactly what Jen's thorn in the flesh was, we don't know what was Paul's. He didn't tell us, and as the preacher said, if God wanted us to know what it was, he would have told us. So, we are left to speculate.

Therefore, in order to keep me from becoming conceited, I was given a thorn in my flesh, a messenger of Satan, to torment me. 2 Corinthians 12: 7.

Just as Jen's thorn tormented her and kept her from playing and doing the things she loved to do, this great apostle had something in him that tormented him, but in his case, it kept him from being conceited. I refuse to speculate on what it might be, but I am thinking that we all have something in us that torments us. Doesn't go away, and we can't remove it ourselves. Only God can. But Paul begged God to take it from him and look what happened.

  But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me.v 9

We all have a thorn. It may be a sin we are struggling with, someone in our lives, an illness, a problem that doesn't seem to be going away. We have begged God to take it away, but it persists. What can we do? His grace is sufficient for us. We are weak, but He is strong. Let us rely on His grace and His power instead of focusing on our weaknesses. Remember "not by works, so that no one can boast" Ephesians 2 : 9. 
God bless.

If you haven't signed up for this blog yet, I encourage you to do so today. You will receive my monthly newsletter with news, views and what is happening in the Christian community both at home and abroad, and can win a copy of my book Women For All Seasons. So please, sign up today.  

Please enjoy the video below as you reflect on God's amazing grace.

 







No comments: