Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Monday, December 05, 2016

Just Do It

This saying made famous by Nike has become the catch phrase for famous, as well as ordinary people,  the world over. Marian Wright Edelman, president and founder of the Children's Defense Fund, says, "If you don't like the way the world is, change it... Just do it one step at a time."

Is there something you have been wanting to do and have been putting it off until you no longer feel like doing it? When we keep putting something off, it takes on a mammoth shape and becomes almost  impossible for us to do. If we don't take that first step, we will eventually push it to the back burner and may never do it.

Just do it! In this post, I'm not referring to something scary, like bungee jumping or learning to fly an airplane. I'm talking about something that has been nagging at your spirit every time you step inside a church and hear the pastor give the altar call. "Come," he says "come and give your life to Christ." And you sit there, playing with your hands when you know you really want to get up out of your seat and walk up that aisle.

Paul writes,  "I tell you, now is the time of God’s favor, now is the day of salvation, (2 Corinthians 6: 2). 
The author of Hebrews writes, "As has just been said: “Today, if you hear his voice, do not harden your hearts as you did in the rebellion”(3: 15).

I know what you are thinking. Leaving your seat and walking the aisle in front of everyone may be as scary as learning to fly an airplane. Well, I have some good news for you. You do not have to respond to the altar call. God is everywhere and He hears you wherever you are. The Holy Spirit may nudge you while you are driving your car, preparing a meal or taking a shower. I gave my heart to Christ in the privacy of my bedroom while watching a preacher on television. But when I went to church the following Sunday and the pastor gave the altar call, I found myself at the altar. I meant to go up on his last invitation which is for believers who want to become members of the church, but I guess I couldn't wait. 

What I am saying is, the Holy Spirit will give you the courage to do what you need to do. So, just do it! Right now, where you are, pause in what you are doing and say, "Lord Jesus, I repent of my sins. Come into my heart and make me your child." You can say more if you want to, but that's basically all you need to say, and the next time you go to church, like me, you may find yourself at the altar. God bless.


No comments: