Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Monday, October 30, 2017

It's Okay To Be Scared

National Breast Cancer Awareness Month was founded in the year 1985 by AstraZeneca, which manufactures breast cancer drugs. Since then, breast cancer has been observed annually to raise awareness and funds to fight this dreaded disease. Cancer is no respecter of persons. Women from all walks of life have fallen and continue to fall prey to its attack. The CDC states that apart from some kinds of skin cancer, breast cancer is the most common cancer in women regardless of race or ethnicity. It is also the second cause of death in women of all races in the United States. However, in spite of these statistics, survival rates are improving. Women are beating this thing.

I am not writing from the perspective of someone who has been there, done that. However, I did have pre-cancerous cervical cells some years ago. When I was diagnosed, I called on God, followed the doctor’s advice and had surgery. Throughout the entire time, I found strength in God. I remember walking in to the hospital with my daughter the morning of my surgery with just my driver’s license in my hand, as the nurse had instructed me to do, and I was thinking, I don’t feel scared. I’m going to have surgery for the first time in my life and I don’t feel scared.

God was with me.

But because I didn’t feel scared doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t be. If you’ve just received a diagnosis of cancer, you may be scared to death. And that’s okay. The disciples in that boat, seasoned fishermen, were scared for their lives when the storm arose. They woke Jesus who was asleep in the stern and said to Him, “Teacher, don’t you care if we drown?” (Mark 4: 39) The Bible goes on to say, “He (Jesus) got up, rebuked the wind and said to the waves, “Quiet! Be still!” Then the wind died down and it was completely calm.

As a Christian woman, you may ask yourself many questions. “Why me? I serve God, don’t I? I attend church regularly, don’t I? I tithe, I do this, I do that …” There was a man in the Bible who did all that and more and yet, God allowed Satan to take all that he had and afflict him with horrible illnesses. But in spite of all this, “Job did not sin by charging God with wrongdoing” (1: 22).

So, what am I saying? I’m saying it’s okay to be scared. Jesus understands. Just trust Him. Call on Him. Even when you don’t know what to say, just whisper His name and you’ll receive comfort.

Speaking of comfort, sometimes you can find comfort in an object – a keepsake, gift or something that has special meaning. I have two Breast Cancer Awareness bangles that I want to give away. The month is almost over, but I’ll carry it into November. The first two women who write to me and request it will receive this lovely bangle FREE and postage paid.

And don’t forget to sign up for my mailing list where you can receive updates and giveaways. God bless you.

No comments: