Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Monday, May 07, 2007

One for the birds


Every morning I drive through densely wooded areas on my way to work. Nature lover that I am, this affords me the opportunity to enjoy God's creation in all its virgin beauty. Fall, with its varying shades of orange, red and yellow leaves, fills me with awe, and when the leaves begin to fall off, I feel a sense of personal loss. Winter offers little here in Atlanta by way of snow, so I wait eagerly for spring. This year, however it seems that the trees put out their decorations one morning and took them down faster than we do our Christmas decorations. And with the present drought, color is few and far between.

However, the birds are there. Flitting, swooping, zooming in and out, they attract me with their calls and their swift movements. One of my favorites is the red bird. I don't know the scientific name for it, but it's just red all over. It flits by and is gone quicker than my eyes can follow it. A friend told me she also loves the little creature. She said when her sister had to undergo an operation she was so worried, she prayed constantly that the surgery would be successful. She said while she sat on her porch praying, a red bird flitted by. On impulse she prayed, "Lord, if my sister is going to be allright, let me see another red bird." Not long after her prayers were answered. Since she told me this story, every time I see a red bird I ask the Lord to let me see another. And always, without my thinking about it, I would see another one before I get to work.

What does it mean? Maybe nothing. Or maybe God is just assuring me that He is there. Just as my friend prayed for that sign and God answered, I believe God is telling me, "I am here whenever you need Me. You may not see Me all the time, but I am here." In Isaiah 65:24 he says, "Before they call I will answer; while they are still speaking I will hear."

No comments: