Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Saturday, August 10, 2013

Do You Know How Special You Are?

As an occupational therapist working in a behavioral health unit, one of the questions I sometimes ask my clients is, "What special qualities do you possess?" Or, "Say something positive about yourself." Many of them would lower their eyes and refuse to answer, and those who do would say something like, "I don't know."

Why is it so difficult for us to see the good in ourselves? We may admire and look up to others while looking down on ourselves. Psychiatrist patients are not the only ones who think this way. I've heard self-deprecatory comments from beautiful celebrities. Gorgeous women who receive the adulation of people everywhere would say things like, I hate my nose; my lips are too small, too large; my hair is too this or too that.

Do you realize that you are created in the image and likeness of God Himself? You are His most prized creation. He created you after Himself.

So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them. Genesis 1 : 27

Of all the billions of people in the world, there is no one like you. No one has your fingerprint, or your shadow or your uniqueness. Granted, there will always be someone more beautiful, smarter or slimmer than you. But that does not make you any less special. You are important to God and you ought to be important to yourself.

Enjoy the video below, then look yourself in the mirror and say, "I'm special."

No comments: