Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Friday, January 03, 2014

A Month Of Thankfulness

The idea for this post is borrowed from Our Daily Bread devotional of Jan. 1st. According to the article, the month of January is National Thank You month, according to many US calendars. I thought the article a fitting one for the first day of the year since that is the time we usually make New Year's resolutions. And I thought it a fitting one for me since I want to focus on all the things I should be thankful for this year instead of complaining when things go wrong.


Being thankful carries with it many benefits:

1. It shows you how blessed you are.
2. It prevents you from feeling sorry for yourself
3. It helps you appreciate God more

Studies have shown that people who are depressed do not have an attitude of gratitude. They think they have nothing to be thankful for. Other studies have shown that when depressed people are encouraged to talk/write about thankfulness, their depression lifts. You may not be depressed, but the Bible sets great store on giving thanks. Jesus gave thanks every time He prayed and He commended the Samaritan who returned to thank Him after He had healed him of leprosy.

Jesus said, "Were there not ten cleansed ? but where are the nine? There are not found that returned to give glory to God, save this stranger" (Luke 17 : 17).
Psalm 136 : 1 says, "O give thanks unto the LORD; for he is good: for his mercy endureth for ever." The Psalm goes on to recount the many ways God blessed the Israelites and extended His mercy to them.

The Daily Bread devotional suggested that we examine the many reasons we have to be thankful during the month of January and I have begun to do that. I plan to write a "Gratitude" post every day and I would like you to join me. You can write it in your journal or blog and post a comment of it here. 

So here's what I'm thankful for so far:
 Jan 1: I'm thankful to God for bringing me and my loved ones safely into another new year.
Jan 2: I'm thankful to God for giving me the courage to take a new and faster route to work, and for making it stress-free for me.
Jan 3: I'm thankful for the relaxing time I spent today studying God's word and communing with Him. 

What are you thankful for? 
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: